Thursday, September 22, 2011

Windows 8

So I've seen some pictures, and read a few articles about Windows 8,

and so far I've decided that I won't be getting it.

Why?

Because from what i can see, it's a Tablet Optimized OS

Now that by itself is not the problem.

If Microsoft wants to make a Tablet OS, that's all fine and dandy,
BUT the same OS is going to be on desktop and laptops too.

From what i have seen, it will resemble the Windows Phone 7 UI,
you know, those blue tiles that make up your home screen.

After reading some articles on LifeHacker, their bit on the Metro UI, Desktop, and Windows Explorer of Windows 8 has lead me to one assumption and i have previously mentioned.

It's just a tablet OS, but on a desktop.

Don't get me wrong, i know it's a bit much on the CPU, but i like Windows 7, and overall i like the experience Microsoft has created with their OS's (Note: i never had Vista, but i know everyone makes mistakes, even Microsoft)

But i really don't like what I've seen so far...

After booting up the OS, those little tiles will be the default screen one will see, and the Desktop can be reached after clicking on the respective tile to get their, which makes me cringe.



Again, if this was just for a tablet it would be fine, tiles and icons make more sense when you have to touch everything on the screen. But if I have to sit on my computer and use a mouse to navigate something that was made for a touch screen, then I don't know if i want that OS on my computer.

The windows explorer too has gotten an update from what I've read, it makes it look a lot prettier, but functionality wise, not much else.

The way things are going I'll stick to 7, and maybe even just go with a more minimalistic OS like Linux or Ubuntu, you know, something made to run on an actual computer...

(I was going to try out the developers build of it, you know, to give it a far chance, but it needs either a clean install or dual boot, but after seeing it needs at LEAST 16gb of free space i passed, i just don't think it's for me...)

2 comments:

  1. "The day Micro$oft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well i liked XP, i think it's lightweight and it got the job done, 7....it looks pretty and is up to date...but that's about it, but this Windows 8 thing is ridiculous, seriously. I really am just waiting for my school money to come in so i can buy a TB, and new laptop, and have R2 off 7.

    ReplyDelete